Reading while dead

Reading while dead

Thursday 17 November 2011

Better? The return of the car?

I think - nervously - I may say that I am now better.  I am only slightly giddy, our financial payment is in the bank, I haven't had any more gynaecological horror since Tuesday (scan tomorrow), a man is coming to look at the car tomorrow and I've finally had an answer to an email from someone I thought was going to ignore it.  And I made a stunning chili con carne for supper - which every one of them praised.

To celebrate I have sent flowers to a sorrowful friend and signed up to Love Film and begun to think about Christmas....

It may be that we will shortly have the car back - this week I have had another grocery delivery - it's interesting - when you see how much your bill is when you buy on line you tend to whip things out of your basket - something you can't do at the supermarket - this has lead to some catastrophic under-buying - with the result that we are lacking one of our staple foods - ham!  On Monday I went to the doctor, which doesn't have the decency to be on a bus route - and is the opposite side of town (having moved from a building 5 minutes walk from here) so had to take a taxi.   Tomorrow M is hiring a car for work plus the weekend - so perhaps he can collect me from the doctor in the afternoon.   I want the car back, but am glad that we haven't been spending ££££'s on petrol in the last 2 weeks (it's nearly 3 weeks actually).  

We've not lived an exemplary car-free life.   If I was feeling better I would have walked to the doctor, but the fact is, one doesn't usually go to the doctor when one is feeling full of oojah-cum-spiff... so walking to the doctor is a bit of a fantasy really.

This weekend we will be having maximum use of the car: we will go to a supermarket, to the cash & carry, to the farm shop, to the rubbish dump, to the plastics re-cycling place... oh, the places you'll go!  Not having a car creates pent-up demand, and I wonder how we would be dealing with these things if we continued without one.   Perhaps just one hire every month to do that stuff - or we'd begin to investigate car-sharing. I doubt very much whether there's a scheme around here; even the greenest people seem to have 2 cars (they NEED them)... so getting them out of the habit would be hard.  But perhaps we could reduce some of them to 1 car.   However, it's another scheme I don't really have the energy for.

No comments:

Post a Comment