Reading while dead

Reading while dead

Tuesday 15 November 2011

Strange Smell - for lovers of trivia/mindless witterings

For the last few weeks there's been a faint, almost subliminal smell, in my nostrils... I've been trying to work out what it is.  I have elminated myself as the source - but it's definitely an organic sort of smell.  At first I likened it to a distant whiff of public loos - amoniac, with bleach on top.  Now it's taken on a slightly fishier quality - a bit like certain types of glue.

This morning I woke up at 4.30 am and it began to impinge on my conscious almost at once.  I realised that I always smellt it in the bedroom (it can be eliminated by hiding under the duvet) or in the dining room - both of which rooms have open fireplaces... now I can smell it in Mark's office, which doesn't.  That's a shame, as I thought I had solved the mystery - I concluded it must be a dead seagull decaying in one of the chimneys - hence the fishy quality.  Now I will have to re-think.   Perhaps a seagull has dropped some fish down the chimney - but why can I small it in here?  Maybe it is some kind of glue M has been using.

The other mystery is that only I can smell it - I have some vague memory of hearing about a disease which manifests itself at first through a mysterious smell... in the nose of the sufferer (hypochondriac - moi?!) but I must have imagined/invented this. I wish I knew what it was - most of the time I don't mind, I have other things to worry about, but waking up early in the morning with it is bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment