Reading while dead

Reading while dead

Monday 7 November 2011

The Romantic Feminist

When I have a lot of things to do, I try to do the one that I'd enjoy most (if there's nothing extremely urgent).   While I was ill The Romantic Feminist was returned by another agent - she said there was a bit too much introspection, and that 1st person novels weren't fashionable at the moment.  So I've been re-writing it a bit.   Actually, a lot of the book is in 3rd person - but some of it is being changed in the hope of making things more detached.   I feel that I'm losing some of its identity, but it is "crisper" - certain things sounds totally stupid when you put them in 3rd person, so they have to go.  I've hacked away anything that looks too self-pitying in the introspective sections early on.   There is a lot of work to do - but I'm determined to get it sorted out and publishable.  I regret the loss of some of the intimacy - but I suspect the market for breathy, in your ear, intimacy is a bit limited. 

When I have a lot of things to do, I usually do something completely time wasting which avoids confronting the tasks that need to be done, but today has been an exception.  I now feel much better (after 6 weeks), so hope that my recovered strength is going to continue to sustain me through the four current issues: the 2 books, the Thanetarium, and Ramsgate Arts.   The small matters of housework, finance, family life, cooking etc. will just have to find their place.  And soon there will be Christmas.... and more cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment