Reading while dead

Reading while dead

Friday 10 February 2012

Defamation

Right - have spent an hour on the phone with great mate Anna, who is, inter alia, a tabloid journalist (freelance now, features...) so she knows all about defamation.  There is absolutely no way my nutter could do me for defamation - for a start virtually no one knows who she is... but in any case, she would have to be recognisable, preferably with the same name - and she would have to be a horrible character in the novel.  Arguably the nutter is so nasty that nothing  I might write about her would be defamatory - just pure authorial observation.  However, I don't fancy trying to play it that way. 

She is an odd combination of feisty and needy - not a very good combination.  Anna said "Needy women always make themselves indispensable to men until they have got them...then wham!"   It cheered me up enormously - I think I've done the right thing.  Except that what I've done isn't going to be discussed here, since she could easily access this if she wanted to.

No comments:

Post a Comment