Reading while dead

Reading while dead

Saturday 24 December 2011

Christmas Eve

I love Christmas Eve - if one's reasonably well organised - which I am this year, or rather the food is well organised, not sure about presents.  They keep arriving from friends, and we don't usually give friends presents for financial reasons, but because of the boys people tend to give us unfeasible quantities of sweets and biscuits... sometimes we repay with homemade fudge and truffles - but not sure if quince cheese (the local version of membrillo) is quite festive enough.  Perhaps I should go and buy some Manchego to eat with it.  Need to do a bit of snap tidying/wrapping today I think...so I will have a few return offerings for people.

And I also love Christmas Eve this year because I've had the operation, and the general anaesthetic and all my fears were of course ungrounded, and I have recovered relatively quickly, and although I spent the afternoon in bed listening to the radio and doing sudoku (it's a great compulsive thing to do with the brain while the interesting bit is otherwise engaged.   Some people like to do things with their hands when engaging with media, but I tend to do sudoku or Spider Solitaire! - terrible confession.)

So I am feeling really cheerful, and despite what they said in the hospital about the danger of fainting at the stove actually, I think it will be all right.  So a bit of light cooking - with the boys - could be great.  I might do the tongue.  I could probably do the trifle for Boxing Day - if I can make room in the fridge.   We have put a lot of things in the cellar - but the weather is really warm 11-12 degrees - so even the cellar isn't as cold as it should be at this time of year...

Thinking ahead, what the house needs is a thorough post Christmas sort out...I've got a box of stuff I set aside for a charity in the Gambia 3 years ago - haven't delivered it yet.  And we need to make room for the Colombian student we are going to have for 6 months.

Ned's had a conditional offer from his first choice university - UAE - it would be great if he went there - it's in Norwich - where Jeremy, his godfather lives, and Marge and John, and Chris, Mark's friend - so we could see them when we visit him, and perhaps he'd get to know Jeremy better.

Gosh - I really feel quite happy.  The operation was clearly hanging over me, but I've had some interesting results... first I haven't got to the menopause yet - my hormone levels are still have a good way to go.... so some of this bleeding has just been simply good old fashioned irregular bleeding associated with this.  They have fitted a coil which contains progesterone, this should balance the oestrogen which I'm producing, and this reduces a risk of uterine/ovarian cancer - as well as (I hope) discouraging the fibroids... which flourish where there's plenty of oestrogen.  We'll see - apparently if this doesn't work, it's a hysterectomy, which I admit I have a reall horror of...

Joke of the day:  As I was being wheeled into the anaesthetic room - "Have you had a pregnancy test?"
"No."  "We like to have one - perhaps we should...."
"No, it's entirely unlikely..."

Oh dear, have I become one of those middle-aged women....?   Time to get my mojo back I think.  But first, Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment