Reading while dead

Reading while dead

Tuesday 20 December 2011

Not getting on top of Christmas

About half an hour of difficult phone calls from the hospital about WHERE the operation will take place.   I get cold and snotty and horribly rational (why am I so unpleasant?) and then realise it is because I am actually horribly frightened of general anaesthetics... and wish I didn't have to have one.  Having been told it was essential I had the op in the main theatre to be near ICU in case anything went wrong with the anaesthetic, I have now been told that it will be fine for me to have it in the Day Surgery Unit - so I am now slightly worried that not all will be so well.  However, I have been reassured by Dr Ishmael (he's the one to sue if I die!) that it will be fine, I am now back where I was before... not by the ICU - but on the same date (there was talk of arranging a different date).   Last time I was in hospital I wrote a letter to M and the boys "in case" - because I was the closest to death I had ever been.  I suppose I ought to do another one... but I don't want to be melodramatic. 

I'm sure it's all right - it's not major surgery, no cuts will be made, no wounds, so why a general - why can't they do it with a local or an epidural... Anyway, the distress caused by these calls has delayed me further, so now M and I are mopping up the outstanding Christmas cards instead.... chasing up all the lost addressses etc.   Eeek.  Must make the ice cream and the cake at least today.  We are going out to see the incredible Harbour Jazz Orchestra later.

My Week with Marilyn was very enjoyable - lots of lush production values, I loved Judy Dench as Sibyl Thorndike - who knew she was such a lefty?  And Branagh's Olivier was great, as was Michelle Williamson as Monroe.  Usual hordes of great Brit character actors: Dougray Scott, Michael Kitchen, Jim Carter, Zoe Wannamaker, Dominic Cooper, Simon Russell Beale - I started to wonder which British Character Actor was not in it (Jim Broadbent and Timothy Spall chiefly).

No comments:

Post a Comment