Reading while dead

Reading while dead

Thursday 15 December 2011

Christmas Shopping

Well, with 10 days to Christmas (or is it 9) I have finally made some inroads on the shopping.  I have been cooking for a week or so, and have shoved into the freezer a load of chestnut stuffing, some red cabbage, a chocolate roulade for the boys (they don't like Christmas pudding).   I have bought a ham, and frozen it and industrial quantities of sausages - some to accompany the turkey - others to eat at parties...

I had this idea that it might be nicer to have people drop in casually over the Christmas season - advertised that we would be "At Home" on certain dates.  Then I suddennly panicked - will they all expect vast quantities of food - probably not, but since I usually make a lot of food.... Today I rebelled a bit, I thought, let me blend with the furniture for a change - let me not stand out by having made endless efforts for these events.  So I decided I would not do more than 5-6 plates of food for these things - and make a vat of mulled wine and have some plain alternatives - and hope for the best.  We could crack open some of our weird and wonderful drinks - and we still seem to have plenty of vermouth in the cellar.

Now I've calmed down a bit - I need a few presents for kids - and a mother in law pressie - and perhaps something small for my father - (he has a book coming)... something for the boys to give him (fudge/truffles) and probably something for the boys to wear.   The trouble is, I sort of promised them winter coats - and I am not sure if we can afford them...

What shocked me today was how much money I spent - I realise that it's the same every year - we usually go to France and buy loads of nice food and booze - but this year we haven't, so we have had to buy food and booze here... rather more expensive for booze.  Still, we don't need much more now except a turkey and some fruit and veg - so  nothing major.  It's almost over....

Apart from the cooking of course: mince pies, stollen etc. and perhaps a few brownies, should I have made a cake for Pa?  Could he have half of ours?  So many things to think of.

This is probably the mindless wittering category - no matter, the exterior political situation is so grim and upsetting that I cannot bear to comment on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment