Reading while dead

Reading while dead

Friday 9 December 2011

The Eclipse!

I have great hopes of this eclipse - usually a turning point of some kind - this one is meant to be a slightly sinister one for me - but it could be good.  I am still waiting for that nice agent to return my book with regrets, but what I actually hope is that she will make some suggestions for changes which I can incorporate rapidly and then start the new year with a powerful attack on Conscience.  I love the Romantic Feminist but it's time for it to be finished - otherwise 17 years will never get written, but at least if I have an agent, I will be able to get some advice about the kind of weird structures I am thinking of.... running parallel alternative scenarios perhaps... can't help feeling it would be too confusing.  But it would be a challenge to do it.  And it might be a good way of getting more insight into the characters, and seeing how they change through their different choices.   I fear that it could begin to look like one of those novels that has been influenced by computer games, which isn't the idea - it's more the idea of trying to incorporate life's "what ifs?" into a narrative.  I expect it's been done before, but I'd like to have a bash at it.  Conscience is a much more traditional novel - which is right for it's subject and period... If I can afford it, I'd like to start doing some regular research at the Imperial War museum, but there's a new website with lots of old papers online, so that might save a lot of effort, even if one has to pay - it's £35 to go to London, so it might be worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment