Reading while dead

Reading while dead

Monday 19 December 2011

Getting on Top of Christmas

Yesterday was M's official birthday, his mother, brother and sister in law came and we had a very happy day.  The food was great (of course! she said modestly) and we had some very nice wine that Polly had bought us last year... we've eked out that case well, and the next one's due on Christmas Day!

M's actual birthday is tomorrow - and we have his presents - although not his card - I've lost it!  I was going to make croissants, but as we're going to the cinema tonight to see My Week with Marilyn he isn't going to get homemade croissants.     I will make the steak and kidney pie and brown bread ice cream.  The traditional meal!   But the boys want me to make a cake - I was going to make a chocolate and orange one, but they want a coconut one - he'd probably prefer it, so I shall do one.

I did some shopping today, and wrapped all the outstanding presents - but I haven't done any cooking yet.   Should marzipan the cake today really.

I had begun to fret about not having ordered a turkey - and then realised I could buy one on-line from Ocado.  I feel sorry I haven't bought stuff from Hazell's the good local butcher - but I didn't get around to ordering it in time... So now that I have ordered turkey and gin I feel pretty ok about the shopping. 

So all I have to do is:

hand - deliver a few cards, assemble Coellie and Ben's food parcels, get Finn to make more fudge, and

make marzipan, ice cake, make mince pies, stollen etc etc and remember to defrost salmon to make gravadlax, cook ham and tongue, do some foodie things for our "At Home" on 22nd - and, oh, just a few little bits and pieces.  Damn, better stop blogging and start cooking again.

No comments:

Post a Comment