Reading while dead

Reading while dead

Wednesday 23 May 2012

19 Glorious Years

Ah - here's one I prepared earlier!

Today is my 19th wedding anniversary - apparently the rest of the country is bathed in broiling sunshine, but down here, unusually, we are covered with light clouds and there is a stiff wind!   Nevertheless, I am in holiday mood and thinking about doing some gardening, making a cake and generally enjoying life.

We exchanged gifts and cards - and we are going out tonight to a lecture on Pugin! and then perhaps to Albarino, a local tapas bar.  It is debateable whether we can afford this, but I am feeling a bit rebellious.  We have so often postponed outings, and meals out on various anniversaries and birthdays in the past.

It is interesting that the boys have no involvement with the anniversary at all: when I was a child my father would organise us to do nice things for Ma and to give her cards etc.  M of course does not do this sort of thing: because his family didn't, and now my family are conforming to Samuel standards of unconnected behaviour, rather than Hamlyn standards of affectionate behaviour.  They would of course like to come out to dinner with us - but even if we wanted them to, we can't afford it.

No comments:

Post a Comment