Reading while dead

Reading while dead

Friday 18 May 2012

Rest day

Well, after a really lovely 4 hours with Clare - a feast of reason, flow of wit and lots of laughter, I found I felt much much better, the pains had worn off, and the glands on my skull were much less tender.   I roused myself like St Peter's mother in law and made steak and homemade chips for supper - which was a real success, and Rafael said steak reminded him of home.  Then we had quite an interesting conversation about religion - Rafa insisted he wasn't a Christian - he was a Catholic - then he explained that Christians were basically protestant/evangelicals who didn't believe in Mary... we talked about how different people believed different things in different places.  He clearly felt the important distinction between Chrs and RCs was the belief in Maria - it was strange because Clare and I had had rather a lot of discussion about religion and agreed to go to the big high Mass at St. Pugin's next Saturday - and then in the afternoon, I had a surprise visit from Claudie, a French woman I haven't seen for a long time.  She's an odd bird - one of those who expects entertainment and chat from me - we agreed we might have a little walk together sometime...she mentioned as she left that there was a prayer group at Chatham House (the boy's school).  I remembered that she too was an evangelical Christian.

So a rather religious dominated day...I rather enjoyed it - and wondered if God was coming after me because I was straying too far... I realise that I hardly ever pray at the moment, and given that I've been ill for 3-4 days haven't actually properly prayed about it - too busy worrying about whether it's a virus or the beginning of something worse.  The fact that I've had this sort of virus before suggests that it's that, and I hear the inner voice say "it won't last".

Last night I slept badly - constantly waking up as a new bit of me began to ache: elbows, neck, fingers, knees, thighs etc. and the tenderness on my skull is back.   I spent the morning in bed reading a book by James Long. It was quite an enjoyable book - but there was something slightly amateurish about it.  I can't really explain, there was a good plot, one of these past and present linked things - through archaeology.  But I didn't really get a strong sense of the characters or their story - there was an American archaeologist that I liked, but most of the characters were a bit cut out...The book is published by Harper Collins.  I read it because Mark's 90 year old Uncle Peter recommended it to me - he's a great reader and likes to talk about books.  Sometimes he reads fascinating books - sometimes trash: he recommended Dan Brown's Angels and ?  which I don't think I'll go for.   But probably great plotting.  It's a salutory reminder - people like plots.  Need to work on that.



No comments:

Post a Comment