Reading while dead

Reading while dead

Monday 25 June 2012

Compost heap

Ever since we started our compost heap, 9 years ago, we've managed to produce lumpy but usable compost - of a reasonable, if slightly wet consistency.   This year, our heap is seeping liquid, and because the ground is so wet, it isn't being absorbed - instead we have a nasty smelly, small pool of muck, seething with maggots.  It is revolting.  I am going to put lots of paper and cardboard down to absorb it and put more paper in the bin so that I can absorb it a bit.

I am really annoyed, but I have been working on and around it all morning, and am covered with revolting guck - off to have a bath shortly.  I've been doing other things in the garden too - planting up plug petunias, splitting the iris siberica and weeding.  The garden is so lovely - at the moment there is a huge cluster of compassion roses, lowering above the Albertine - they are similar colours, not ideal, but really fantastic.

I do hope I have some time in the autumn to dig places up and thin stuff out - otherwise next year the garden will over flow.

No comments:

Post a Comment