Reading while dead

Reading while dead

Monday 25 June 2012

Sunday to the rescue....

We had - I cannot believe I am writing these words - a really nice day on Sunday.  All the stress dissolved once Artem arrived.  I went downstairs and prepared breakfast - Artem and his friend Phillip went out for a walk, they came back at 12.30.  In the meantime I had made bread, sticky sausages, a coconut cake and a stew for supper.   I had also prepared and packed a picnic.  We took Gina back to her house, then drove to Richborough, we rejoined English Heritage (it was cheaper than buying tickets) and had a picnic in the middle of the 2,000 year old walls.  I love Richborough - I think I just ought to go up there and think and write (useful picnic table)... and look at the rabbits and the butterflies.   We ate our picnic (cold chicken, sticky sausages, meatballs,crisps, baguettes, salad, houmous etc.) and then it began to rain.  We packed everything away and escaped back to the car...

We then drove to Dover - the rain stopped, the sun came out and we wandered around Dover Castle - mostly looking at the keep, the boys went up to the tower - there was a fascinating medieval map (replica) of the world - with Delos at the centre!  Jerusalem slightly to the north - no sign of Russia - unless it was the area called Hyrcania... (Ireland was illustrated by a naked man with a club - the shillelagh has a long tradition).  Then the boys went down the medieval tunnels - and finally we walked around the battlements back to the car.   A really successful outing, I especially enjoyed the flowers and the wildlife.

Then we came home - I unpacked the picnic, washed up, tidied away, dealt with washing and made supper. Then M kindly drove me around to Alex - so I could avoid the English humiliation at the penalty shoot out stage.  Maybe it was better than being beaten by Germany on Thursday.

I sat in the garden with Alex, Paul and Keith and discussed divers matters, until Paul left, by which time copious amounts of drink had been drunk and Alex raised the issue of 50 shades of Grey and asserted that it showed that women were really interested in BDSM and why did I think this was?    Arrrrrrggggggghhhhh.... perhaps this is worth another entry - it's a ticklish topic which PC Keith and I attempted to discuss without reference to any personal experience.  So we didn't get very far...Mark then appeared and brought the conversation back to "sacred geometry" (or "Bollocks!" as M calls it).   I had made two gins last a very very long time, curiously, I speeded up my drinking when M arrived.  Quid significat?  Then I said I was cold and needed to go home and dress my insect bites.

No comments:

Post a Comment