Reading while dead

Reading while dead

Wednesday 6 June 2012

Tracey Emin 2

After I'd written and sent off my review of the TE exhibition, I condescended to look at the brief guide to the it that the Turner Contemp. had produced.   It was full of hype about her work - which really gave it a more pretentious shove than it seemed to me to deserve.  It didn't engage much with the personal side.  

Although my review was limited by my own knowledge of her and her work, I felt it was a rather more honest offering than the official version.   It also highlighted a number of works which were barely worthy of comment. The iron bath with a crumpled Union Jack in it... oh dear, for a long time I have felt that I was potentially a great conceptual artist (she said modestly) since I have many ideas of equivalent value.

No comments:

Post a Comment