Reading while dead

Reading while dead

Monday 4 June 2012

Jubilation...

... because our B&B guests have gone.  A Polish family - pleasant but a bit dour, the wife very skinny and perfect, had a rather disapproving expression... not much English, the 12 year old son was best, the husband didn't seem to speak English at all.  Still, it was £100 for two nights... so not really complaining.  Mark thought it wasn't enough because Norbert got use of the sitting room - I agree that if a child isn't sleeping with the parents, we ought to charge about £15 - rather than £5.  But we haven't sorted that out.  They may come again, and so we will probably not be able to charge them more next time.

What I feel about people who stay with us is that often they are rich kids, who have servants to keep their houses clean, or they come from cultures where if you are poor your respectability is tied up with cleanliness.  Neither of these cultures quite "gets" the bohemian charm and squalor of our set up.   It is getting better, as my energy returns so does my ability to do housework... Mark heroically steam cleaned the top of the stove and this morning I cleaned up all the new grease on it, and made an attempt on some of the encrusted stuff.   We also cleared the table a bit...and the Irish cupboard...It's nearly tidy.

The garden is looking superb: the roses are coming out, the valerian is fab, and I have discovered it makes a good cut flower.  The first time I have ever been able to cut flowers from the garden (apart from the tiny winter posies I make occasionally).  I am full of fantastic idea about things to do...but am currently having a little rest.

Later I will go to the Tracey Emin exhibition, I hope... or maybe tomorrow - doing a review for Thanet Watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment