Reading while dead

Reading while dead

Tuesday 26 June 2012

A theological dream with literary overtones

I dreamed I was having an argument about belief with my father.  We were at some sort of Christian conference, and I wanted to leave.  I was younger, but I had my own car.  The argument took place in public, with a lot of other people - of an evangelical fundamentalist persuasion - there.  My father was particularly upset because I told him that a certain book of the Bible (a made up one) which he particularly liked, was my least favourite -  because it was narrow.  In the end he was so upset he threatened me with something.   I decided I had to leave home.  I began to pack the car with my things - some of the evangelical men tried to block my way with a large amplifier speaker... in the end I just walked around it - but I was trying to run away with no money and just sneaking in and out to the car to get my clothes etc. without any of my family seeing me.  The speaker also belonged to me, and I had to drag it to the car (it was actually our current car, the VW Sharan)

I think this is something to do with the book.  The amplifier is about taking a bit of family story outside the house - broadcasting it to a larger group.  This isn't the way my father would behave - but it is true he keeps insisting that I should believe what he believes and lecturing me on what he believes.   This is something I don't think I'm guilty of.  Yesterday I was telling M about my fears that Coellie was reading the book and disapproving of it... so that's obviously where some of this came from.

No comments:

Post a Comment